Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Steady and Precise: Part 6 of the Drummer's Almanac

My worship team met last night for practice and our director gave us some new equipment that let us create our own personal mix and replaced the large floor monitors. I must say that it was much better than I expected and it improved our overall sound. There is something about a good sound that just inspires me to play more creatively and sometimes more simple so I can hear every nuance.

As we played, I started to think about how steady and precise I was playing and I almost tried to stop myself because I've heard many times, "It's not about how perfect you are, but just that your putting your heart into it." "Don't try to be the best musician." Those thoughts have given me a sense of freedom, but on the other hand, I want to be the best I can be when I worship God. He gave me the gifts of music and rhythm and I want to push myself to be better. He knows my heart. I want to give him my best because He gives me His.

I think as a team we have the responsibility to make worship easier for the congregation. It is a place of service and leadership. Have you ever been in the congregation and you can't wait until worship ends because it sounds bad or something is not right with the music? I have!! Now, some would say I just wasn't in the right place or had a bad attitude, but let's get real. When things sound weird to my ear I want to tune it out. If the team didn't need to sound good or play tight and make it the best we can, then why do we practice? Maybe it's to practice worshipping so we can better lead the congregation, but I can't force worship. Sometimes in practice I worship better than when I'm in service. Or vice versa. I am able to worship when I don't have to focus on my surroundings. Then I am able to go to that place where it feels like everything disappears and I am in His presence lifting up praise and petition.

1 comment:

Faithful Joy said...

It's tough to find the balance between striving for excellence and being Spirit led. It's so easy to slip in religious striving, or relying on our own abilities when leading musical worship. In my experience, music is one of the biggest points of contention in churches today, often because our pride and preference get in the way! Could it be because Lucifer was a worship leader in heaven before the Fall?????

I, too, long for that time in worship when the entire world fades away and I am alone in the Throne Room. There is nothing better than that. Unfortunately, some people come to church every week and have no idea what that's like. It's not easy to try and explain the experience someone!

Keep laying it down before Him, Derek. God has chosen you and you are His!