Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Musical Weekend

What a great weekend. We had a few friends over to our house for some chili, movies, and, of course, music. My son went to his grandparents house while we enjoyed each other's company. Swanger brought his guitar and Donovan brought his bass and guitar. We played some really good songs from Travis to worship. My son came home around 8:30pm with his gutiar and he was in heaven. He strummed his guitar like Donovan and Swanger and jumped around like Angus Young from AC/DC. If he doesn't turn out to be a musician then I have no clue. On Saturday he told me to sit down at my drum kit while he played his guitar. He said, "C'mon daddy!" and pointed to my drum kit. He loves his guitar so much he wants to sleep with it.

Later, Swanger shared that he had written a couple of songs and was hesitant to share. I then asked if he wanted to play them, so he sat down and sang them to us. They were really good. He wanted some constructive criticism, so I tried to find things to pick apart for him. I couldn't find anything. Arrangement was the only thing I could talk about which will change when he adds other instruments. It inspired me to write a little bit on Sunday night. I have a melody and first verse and a chorus. It's the fifth song I've written. It is the first song that doesn't have anything to do with my faith. I wrote it for my wife and I to enjoy. It felt good to grow out of that mold.