Thursday, September 01, 2005

Perseverance

Eight years ago, before I thought of Christ, things in my world were a lot different. How I viewed the world was literally scary. Anxiety had taken over my senses, so I would lie awake at night thinking about how the world was going to end and what would happen if.........?

I was teaching myself how to draw comics in a tiny little corner of an upstairs bedroom. I had a drawing table and spent long nights working on my technique and style. I started creating my own characters and spent as much time as I could drawing, which helped me escape from the world. I had my favorite comic heroes and I had a growing comic book collection. My favorite heroes were the classic Marvel and DC characters. Daredevil, Wolverine, and Batman stood out because they were dark and fear was not usually a problem for them. I identified with them because they were mysterious and powerful, and they fought for what they believed in. They were also broken men. The only thing they knew to do was to fight back and stand up in the midst of evil. They persevered through the toughest time in their lives. I work with men like this everyday. When you hear the reasons, the horrors, and the conflicts that brought them to their knees, it makes me realize that I am no different. I've been brought to my knees over less.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

dude, i didn't get to say goodbye.

-sad-

i had an amazing time playing music with you, you truly are one of the best... (musician and friend)

you will be on my next album.

-@