Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Strong is the Sojourn Soul

I wrote a song not too long ago, titled "Sojourn Soul", based on the changes that occurred in the aftermath of a few nuclear bombs that were dropped on my life. Sound depressing? I was... at least for a while. Instead of throwing ashes on my head and tearing my clothes, I found myself sitting in the dark wondering what the heck I was going to do with my life. I had no direction and no clue what was about to happen to me. I was on a different plateau, spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically. I bet you're wondering what those bombs were that seemingly dropped out of the sky and took my life from me. Well, the first was the realization that I didn't love the girl I was living with after I had already proposed marriage. It was a time of anxiety and fear and I knew I had to let her know my heart. In the midst of this knowledge I was carrying around, I found out that my mother had colon cancer. She had found out during a routine visit to her Ob/Gyn. I was so shocked that I couldn't feel the weight of it's burden. The wedding was being planned and we were only two weeks away when I broke the news to my fiance. She was crushed!!! It was the most sickening feeling and all I could do was curl up in a ball and try to sleep from the pain. Needless to say we cancelled the wedding. My mom passed away a few weeks later. I think losing the house hurt worse than calling off the wedding. It was a place where I was safe and I could be creative. I taught myself how to draw comics and I had my own music room. So, what was a sojourn soul to do, but move back in with his dad. It was a major ego blow. I was 23 years old and I had to move back home. It was also hard to adjust with my dad because he was also hurting. This is when I noticed I was sitting in the dark... lost! This is when things changed. If I wanted to drag this story out I could tell you all of the details, but then I would have nothing to blog, so here's the short form. I met my future wife and reacquainted myself with some old friends who introduced me to the Lord. At first I was guarded and unsure, but once He revealed Himself to me I was lost once again. Only this time I was found in his arms. A sojourner is a person that moves around from place to place. I am a sojourner moving from one place to the next in my ultimate pursuit of trying to live a spirit-filled life in Christ. I am moving on......
Strong is the sojourn soul
Strong is the sojourn soul
And the thing that keeps him grounded
is the past that drove him away
He's still moving on

1 comment:

Faithful Joy said...

Strength is found in vulnerability. I love that you are writing your heart.