Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Mystic Rhythms

On my way to work this morning I decided to put in one of my favorite CD's. Of course, it was Rush's "Power Windows". Now, some of my friends are saying, "What else would he put in?", but, actually, I haven't listened to a Rush CD in at least a month. I forgot how much I enjoyed this CD and I started thinking about why. Being a drummer I am drawn to Neil Peart's awe-inspiring approach. I also think Alex Lifeson is one of the best guitarists to ever live and is oftentimes overlooked in the top guitarist lists. One thing I am usually criticized for is actually loving Geddy Lee's vocals, even though he has been referred to by many as Mickey Mouse. The funny thing is my wife has also fallen in love with his vocal stylings. She is a true convert. Back to this morning: I was lost in air drummer land as I drove down the winding road to work. For those of you who have ever driven in front or in back of me know that it means my arms were flailing about, using everything on the dashboard to simulate a drumset and I knew every lick, fill, and note. Not only does this ritual serve as practice, it gives me the chance to play in front of the world. I was reminded of the rhythms that inspired me to drum in the first place and to study the art form for the last 15 years. I turn my nose up to those who think drums are an easy instrument and that they aren't expressive. Drums are intelligent, emotional, and inspiring. Even though I may not have been looking like it this morning.

No comments: