Friday, August 12, 2005

Sticking With It

I had the chance to sit down at my drum kit this week only to discover how krusty I truly am. I went throught the usual warm-up stuff, which was very frustrating to say the least. I have been playing the same rhythms for far too long and they have become signature. It makes me feel like I haven't grown. I will also tell you that I haven't had a good long practice in months. One thing that made me extremely happy (and whole again!) was that I played a latin beat that my cousin, Jim, had constructed for one of his songs. It requires total concentration as all four limbs play a completely seperate rhythm. Accomplishment and pride settled in and I was able to leave my kit holding my glass jaw high.
By the way, have you heard all of the marching band drums in pop music, lately? I just heard the new Will Smith song and it sounds like he's at a pep rally. I wonder who else is gonna follow the trend. Destiny's Child, and Gwen Stefani did it. I do admit that I like it and I want to hear some more. I would love to create cadences for marching bands.

No comments: