Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Leaning Into FUN!


My department was invited to an open house of a hangar at the City of Delaware on Thursday. It was built by an employer with whom we have a relationship. This employer hired some of our residents to help build the hangar. It's quite big and houses about seven small planes and one helicopter. The investors in the project are wealthy and happened to have three Segways parked between two planes. The Segways were being taken for a spin and one even had a golf bag attached to it. I had the opportunity to ride one.

My director also took a ride. Or a stroll. Which ever is most appropriate. It was amazing. I, of course want one, but I know the cost too much.

It was very sensitive to my balance and would move according to which way I was leaning. If you were to step off of the platform, it would roll about ten feet and fall over. The platform is balanced by some type of countering mechanism which allows it to stay upright on only two wheels. It was fast and more personal than a bicycle because it moved to your body motion. It also had a handle on the left that you rotate according to which direction you want to turn which gives you great control.

Although, I couldn't justify buying one, I do understand why those guys have these toys.

They are FUN. I can see why they are the rage in Japan.

1 comment:

Faithful Joy said...

Hey! Anything beats the human taxi cart!

Love ya!