Sunday, August 26, 2007

War Drums: Part 33 of the Drummer's Almanac

I decided to bring back the drummer's almanac as a departure from my normal blog entries. I need to vent about my technique every now and then. And I like to think about all the different facets of drumming.

This morning was interesting to say the least. The first service is always a little dry and it seems that all of the charis-whackos are in the second service, which makes for more energy, dancing and whooping.

We started off rough with the first song and I couldn't seem to get into the groove. By the third song, I was playing a nice ride part with my eyes closed. The stick was bouncing nicely and I was really getting into it, when the stick rebounded out of my hand, fell onto a congalita, smacking the head two times, and clinking all the way to the floor by my foot. I had to stop playing totally as I picked up the stick, laughing and trying to look unembarassed.

The second service was a different story, entirely. You can't mistake when the whole team comes together and the presence of the Lord is working on you. I was in the pocket and certain people were woohooing which fed into my energy. I really wanted to break into a war beat of proclamation. It seemed very appropriate, but as we went along, Chris followed the Holy Spirit and led very well.

I was able to partake in a worship setting once, where two drummers were playing together on the worship team. They had djembes for anyone to play, so I picked one up and followed the team. A woman named Jen eventually called me over and several people playing drums just led and beat in spiritual warfare. It was exciting, even though I didn't fully understand it. I still don't. I don't know if there is scripture on this, but I believe music is powerful. I know God wants us to play music and he has called us to play it for and to Him.

I'm going to be on the lookout for a story or verse on beating drums in spiritual warfare.

No comments: