Thursday, October 12, 2006

Expanding the Kingdom?

In my last post I talked about being a disciple of Christ and learning to refocus our "agendas". In refocusing our agendas, I mean dying out to Christ and learning to be aware of our surroundings and happenings so that we may show Christ to others and expand the Kingdom.

Our home group discussed this topic as being "naturally supernatural". John Wimber talked about it and based the Vineyard movement on it. More on that topic, later.

When I say we should be aware of our surroundings and circumstances, I mean we should always be looking and expecting to be able to show and share Christ in practical ways.

On Tuesday night I had a chance to expand the Kingdom. I saw a man in the hospital in the ICU unit that I haven't seen in a long time. He was getting ready to go home. I went over to him and said, "Hello. Do you remember me?" He said, "Sure. How are you?" He told me his condition and what he has been suffering through. He then told me he was face to face with the devil. He said he thought he was gone, but he fought back and told the devil you can't get me.

I started to think about what I could say, but I didn't think of anything. I told him to say his prayers and he should be okay. He said, "I wasn't scared." He started talking about something else at that point and I was left wondering what he meant. Why wasn't he scared? Does he already know Christ? Could be, I didn't ask. That's what bothers me.

I feel like I failed to say anything of worth to someone who needed to hear about Christ. I can think of a few things to say now that I've experienced the situation, but not when it mattered. I know now that I need to train myself to meet people where they are when opportunities arise.

The cool thing is, I didn't have to bring Christ up. He started talking about death and how he is tired. I just needed to take what he gave me and use it to help him see Christ. That's what expanding the kingdom is all about.

No comments: