Tuesday, March 07, 2006

"Take your flunky and dangle!"

"...dangle!" What a great visual. Think about what that word implies and then put it in the context of an insult. Not an easy thing maybe, but it is interesting.

Our good friend Shawna came over yesterday and hung out with my family. We made it our movie night this week instead of the usual Sunday. This time we had a good time listening and dancing (well, Caden and I were, anyway) to Sade and other goodies on my iTunes.

Then we put the boys to bed and settled in the living room and watched one of the best mob movies out there. Not many people remember it, but it has some of the best dialogue ever!!! It was made by the Cohen brothers who brought us Raising Arizona, Fargo, Hudsucker Proxy, and O' Brother Where Art Thou. It is none other than Miller's Crossing.



The dialogue is definately original and catchy and the plot is deep with a twist. I don't know what it is about mob movies that just suck me in and hook me to the end. This one has everybody in it, too. Gabriel Byrne, Albert Finney, John Turturro, Steve Buscemi, and even a cameo from Sam Raimi.

The Cohen brothers have an eclectic body of work and, on occasion, tie their movies together with locations such as businesses or apartment complexes like the Barton Arms which is in Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink. Hudsucker Industries is where H.I. works in Raising Arizona and where Hudsucker Proxy is based. There are probably more ties than I have discovered, but they keep me coming back.

This is definately a reccomendation for my friends to watch this movie. I think you will enjoy. We did.

3 comments:

Scott Donnelly said...

I think I need to revisit some of those movies. There is a great possibility that my now finely developed movie pallette was not ready for them. Back in the day, I found those movies not so good. I really wanted to like Raising Arizona too.

Well, looks like Netflix is going to get a workout with the Cohen Brothers!

Hope to see you all soon!!

Faithful Joy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Faithful Joy said...

I loved the movie! Watching it with subtitles was brilliant. If only I had thought earlier to write stuff down. Some of that dialogue was just amazing.

Hey! What's the rumpus?

I say three cheers for the Cohen's!

Now I'm ready for the rest of the mobster films that I was denied as a child...