Monday, March 27, 2006

Rudimentary: Part 00 of the Drummer's Almanac

I put my sticks to skins this weekend with one thing in mind. To see if I still have it.

Have what? you ask.

Technique.

I haven't played acoustic drums with anyone in a long time and I feel like I may have lost my touch. Touch as in being able to play smoothly and delicately and aggressively. I want all of these tools in my box so I can pull them out at any given situation and fit right in. I want to know that I can slam like I used to and then ease back in the groove.

I started playing some rudiments just to feel it out; break off the rust. I was pretty smooth for not practicing. I went from a full tom roll assault to a nice buzz roll accenting with my crashes and splash cymbals. It felt good. I felt in control.

I reflected on this on Sunday as we were at church. The sermon was about identity and confidence in what Christ has instilled in us. This made me relate to my drumming technique.

I have practiced and played and have become good. I can fit into a lot of musical situations and I have a lot of tools at my disposal. I am confident that I can play well.

This has not been the case spiritually. I have a lot of tools at my disposal and yet I lack the confidence to use them. I don't think I can handle situations that may arise where I need to minister or support someone. I have also forgotten the tools that are in the box.

I am not trusting God to give me what I need, although, I have experienced his provision.

I reflected and knew that I needed to lift this up and get rid of these thoughts. I am spiritually sound. I don't have it all together, but I know that He is my deliverer. I can be confident in Him. I also know that I need to be putting myself out there and using those tools He has given me. I know through practice I will gain confidence in my abilities.

3 comments:

Faithful Joy said...

You are a man after God's own heart, Derek, and He LOVES the fact that you are even seeking a deeper intimacy with Him. The confidence will come as you learn that He is the One responsible for what He is asking you to do, not you. He provides the increase, He provides the success; it's on His shoulders, not yours! All you have to do, my friend, is say YES!

Scott Donnelly said...

Dang Dude!

You and I are on a very similar journey... each time you write about these things I am moving in that direction too.

I need to move to Ohio!!

I can't believe I just said that... GO BLUE!

d-roc said...

You better watch it! Brutus is on your back. I could use a muscley-arm-boy like you around. Call me.