Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Anatomy: Part 5 of The Drummer's Almanac



I'm very excited to announce Neil Peart is releasing a new DVD titled "Anatomy of Drum Solo". It's at the top of my Christmas wish list.

What makes a good solo? Who knows, who cares.

Solo's are not my thing. Never have been. Probably never will be. It is the boon of my drumming existence when someone calls for me to give a drum solo. Neil Peart, I am not.

Foreshadowing, language, inflections in your voice, crescendo, climax, denoument, variations on a theme. That is the anatomy to which I structure my songs, grooves, and fills. I run down the toms to make a statement and run up the toms to ask a question. It makes a more interesting part when you use literary terms to define your approach to music. It breaks the mundane and fulfills my passion to create because I know I put more into it than just four beats per measure.

Against the run of the mill, Swimming against the stream - Neil Peart

For another good solo check out Chad Rager (my jazz teacher) and his big band.

No comments: