Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Cirque du Soleil

Can someone please tell me what the heck the story was about?

This show had the best visuals I've ever seen. Pink Floyd has nothing on them. But, I have no idea what the story was about.



A guy was floating from a balloon over everyone he encountered on some weird journey across the world. A dark character was walking on stilts following him. Why? The vocalists were amazing, but I could understand not one line of lyrics. What I did understand was empty and cliched like, "distant shores" and "dreams". The musicians were solid and sounded great and even got to fly around the stage a little bit. I was really amazed at the acrobats because they did things nobody should be able to do.

They drew a curtain across the stage and projected visuals across it to make it really interactive. It was a beautiful show, but I don't know if it was worth the eighty dollars I spent to go see it. I wanted a little more depth from the story. The upside is that my wife and I enjoyed ourselves and saw a Cirque show. We have been waiting for years to able to see one.

3 comments:

Scott Donnelly said...

I believe that the words are actually gibbersih... not kidding. My wife told me that it's a fake language. She loves the stuff... we almost went in Vegas, but the tix were like $200 or something crazy like that...

d-roc said...

The tix were expensive. Are you two coming down this Friday, or whut?

Cheryl said...

Yeah, sometimes it sounds like French - the Cirque was started in Canada - but when I watched a behind-the-scenes documentary, I think they said the words are made up. They want it to sound international without alienating anyone or something. Anyway, about the story not making sense...what they do is get all these acts and performers together and see what they can do, decide who to use and then fabricate a story to loosely tie it all together. If you watch it for the story, don't bother. I just like seeing people fly around and jump around and stuff. And the costumes are usually pretty interesting to see.