Tuesday, January 03, 2006

One For The Record Books

My wife and I purchased a dishwasher last week with some Christmas money.

I started to hook it up and ran into a few problems like everyone does. I didn't have a connector hose or a clamp for the drain, so I took off to the store on Monday morning.

I got home in record time and finished the job, or so I thought. I had connected the electric, but the wires were in a bad position because they wrapped around the leg of the dishwasher. This wouldn't let me pull the dishwasher out to service it.

So I reconnected the electric and was trying to get the ground wire back on the green screw when I sliced my little finger on my right hand. I then used the same hand to support my weight as I tried to screw down the wire.

My hand slipped in something, so I looked. It was blood.

At first I thought my son had cut himself, but then realized I was cut on my finger.

I told my wife and she came over and doctored me up. She then moved me to a chair and she continued to put a band-aid on my finger. At this time the thought of the blood got to my head and I started getting this big empty feeling in my throat down to my stomach.

She said, "Get down on the floor and put your head between your knees." I didn't listen, of course. I started moving my head forward to put between my knees. Meanwhile, my wife was cleaning up the blood on the floor.

The next thing I remember was my wife saying my name and telling me I had passed out and hit my head on the floor. She said I moved my head down and I just fell to the floor like dead weight. My body hit the floor prostrate and the fell flat to the floor. It scared my son and he came running to see what happened. He was also yelling my name and trying to get me to wake up. My wife said I was out for 30 seconds.

I was not feeling right the rest of the day. It was definitely one for the record books. I have never passed out before this episode. I usually black out. My ears ring and then things get spotty and I black out with some hearing still intact. This time I don't remember losing consciousness.

If you saw the cut on my finger, you would know that this was a minor cut. Nothing more than a flesh wound. It's not like I lost a limb. Even though my head would disagree.

3 comments:

Scott Donnelly said...

Dude!

Lesson here: Listen to your wife... oh, and don't get minor cuts.

Did you get the dishwasher all put in and what not? Hope so... talk with you soon.

Faithful Joy said...

So glad you didn't get a concussion. So glad that we weren't all there to see it!!

Sunday night was mucho funno. Just imagine the Sunday nights ahead...I think I am going to institute a weekly Euchre night when I get to Raymond...

d-roc said...

Scotzman: Yes, the dishwasher job is complete and we have very clean dishes.

Shawna: That would be great. I hope you get the house! Saturday is gonna be great too.