Sunday, January 28, 2007

Tuned In, Tuned Out, & Tuned On: Part 12 of the Drummer's Almanac

Well, for starters, we now have the internet at home. So, I can post as heavily as I want without constraint. Except time that is... It's only Roadrunner Lite, but it works for us.

I also want to say I've been pressing into God more and more. He has delivered(literally) and as I own more of my actions and confess those to him, the closer he gets. It's hard to let go of guilt, shame, fear, or resentment. A lot harder than I thought! Shawna, Casey and I went to a worship conference last week at another Vineyard church. The worship was good and I knew I was going up front for prayer. John Wimber's daughter-in-law spoke and her message hit dead on target. As I prayed, I felt Him rush through me and He delivered me. The peace that flowed through me afterward was clearly from Him. Praise God!!!

On to less serious matters: Tuning my drums! (I just had to ask myself if I really am less serious) This task is the most tedious and time consuming part of being a drummer. I am not a drum tech by any means. I've had enough experience to do okay, but my drums never end up how I want them to sound. I love a deep "doooommm" sound in my toms so I can fit any style of music and my snare has to be warm with a good "crack" or "pop" when I hit the rim with the center of the drum. When they sound good or pleasing, I can get lost in my playing and become inspired. So, tuning them "in" isn't as easy as it sounds. It would be nice if someone made a tuner for drummers like the ones a lot of guitarists use. A little red light that told me when I was on. Impossible now, but maybe one day.

I spent about 3 hours trying to tune "in" my floor tom and it still doesn't sound great. I know I'm critical. I also know what I like and I wish I could get it there. I still have the rest of my kit to tune. It becomes a lot like myself. I have to turn each lug a small increment trying to get them in sync with each other, which sometime pulls a lug out of sync and I have to start all over again. I have to keep turning myself towards God. I walk a path and stray and then turn back to Him. Perserverence is the key. Knowing the outcome and pressing on until you reach the goal. The closer I get the more the drum will "sing".

Brought to you by the letter """....

1 comment:

Casey said...

Hi, Wanny The Pooh. How are ya. I am doing good here at home with the boys. It is so nice not having all those extra kids here. The boys are so fun. Anyway, so your blog was about drums mostly. I gotta say, I hope you figure out how to freakin tune those things soon cause the constant banging gets on my nerves. I mean it's different when you are actually playing a song. But, when you beat the same tom for two hours straight, I sometimes want to gouge out my ear drums. I'm just sayin.
It was my goal to write the longest comment ever. I think I probably have achieved that goal. '
Have a good day. Maybe we can take the boys sledding tonight.
Love you,
Me