Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Others Strike Back

It was a Star Wars moment last night during the finale of Lost, when Kate(Leia) and Jack(Han) exchange looks just before black hoods are lowered over their gagged faces.

I immediately saw a nod to the classic Star Wars cliffhanger at the end of Empire when Lando sells his soul to Vader and hands his friends into to certain death. Michael obviously fills Lando's role as the turncoat who takes his friends to the Others' trap, then regains his son and races toward freedom.

Meanwhile, the Other that was captured in the hatch has turned out to be a leader. Almost like Emporer Palpatine. He even says, "We're the good guys.", playing up his double agent role.

Sawyer(Luke) looks at Kate and Jack with disdain and uncertainty because he sees their loving looks and has his own feelings toward Kate. Hurley(Chewbacca) is set free to warn the survivors not to retaliate.

The hatch(Death Star) was "destroyed" as Desmond(Obi-Wan) turned the key and a brilliant light overcame the island with a deafening sound. Desmond was the hermit living in the hatch. Locke has seen plans and /or a schematic for other hatches just like the Death Star plans in Episode II.

I think when the new season begins, we'll see Michael return to save Doc, Kate, and Sawyer to redeem himself in a true Lando gets choked by Chewie(Hurley) moment.

Although, I don't think all of the main characters have an alter ego in the Star Wars universe, I do believe the writers are fans and have made their best effort to give props to one of the most influential movies of our time. What do you think?

5 comments:

Scott Donnelly said...

Wow! You really put some thought into that... I am not a Star Wars Geek, but I realize that I am one of the few of our generation. That was an amazing finale... Who was Locke and what about Echo? Sayid has to be somebody too. I can't wait for Sayid to kick some butt back at the camp...

Hey, could you get my email from SP, AS or KS and drop me a line so I can email you guys? I would post my email on here, but who knows what kind of SPAM I would get.

d-roc said...

Yeah, Sayid may be R2D2 because he always gets them out of a fix. I think Locke may be like Boba Fett. Always choosing sides to benefit his own agenda. Mr. Echo has to be Yoda because he is the spiritual guide.

I will get your e-mail and send ya a note.

Anonymous said...

Um....Sawyer is soooooo Han Solo! Just think about that! Remember in Star Wars V when Leah kisses Luke, Han gets angry!

Faithful Joy said...

Ok here's a little tidbit for you that I didn't remember at first. Did we all recognize Desmond's partner in the hatch? He was the officer who interrogated Sayid when he was POW...

the plot thickens...

What a great finale! Next season they are going to show 7 shows in a row, then go on a break until February and show the rest of the season straight through. That will be better than showing one new episode a month which is what this season basically boiled down to. There is too much depth to plot to be showin' it that way!

Missed you at church today, brother!

d-roc said...

Desmond's partner is non other than Clancy Brown or "Kurgan" from the first and best Highlander movie. He has also done a lot of voice over work for many cartoons.