Friday, April 28, 2006

It's About The Soul!: Part 07 of The Drummer's Almanac

My good buddy Swanger came over last night and played some music for my wife and me. We had a really good time and great conversation.

I told him about going to a drum clinic and it was fun. He said, "You like technical drumming, don't you?" My response was, "I like subtlety better then technical." He said, "But everytime we talk about drumming, you talk about technical things." I didn't want him to be right, but it seems that is how I have come across to people.

This conversation made me think about my drumming and how I approach musical situations. I used to be into the technical side of music, but lately, I'm finding that I like music to be fluid and dynamic. I like ups and downs and a groove with a deep pocket. It also made me think about how people may perceive me as a player.

I think Swanger was right about how I used to look at drumming. I don't think I look at it that way anymore because I want to be able to let go in my worship and not focus so much on my playing. I like to be able to sing and play and experience worship. Because I only get to play music on the worship team, I sometimes get more technical because I like to push myself and give my best to the Lord. I just make sure that it doesn't step on my team's toes or make worship seem awkward.

I would rather my playing be about my soul than about my physical skills. I don't want to be known for having great technique, but for expressing myself freely to the Lord and fitting the musical situation.

No comments: